This is a list of useful tips and methods.
List of things to do:
- Look around. Chests might be scattered around, so taking the time to look around might be worth it. Remember that you shouldn't attack any creatures that are higher then your level.
- Collect 3 Sticks and make a Workbench. You might also want to collect 11 extra Sticks more to make a Shack and Basket. Also consider obtaining Wooden Armor for increased chance of survival.
- Fight some wild creatures that you feel confident in taking on. You will probably level up and be taken to the Hybrid Stats menu. You have 8 Hybrid Stat choices. Pick carefully! The most useful ones in early game are Mining, Health Regen, and Crafting, while Power Energy, Attack and Health might be better as you gear up later in the game.
- Keep going until you have acquired enough coins. You might open Mystery Boxes for them, as these are seen as an easy way to get coins without abusing glitches or exploits.
- After you have enough coins, you might want to visit Gumpy Pug to get some furniture. Remember, though, that you will have time to beautify your cottage later.
- (Optional) You could try using an Egg Fuser and buying an Uranium Bar from Octo Kitty to make a hybrid pet.
- Remember that, if you go deep into the world, you have higher chances of encountering angry (red-faced) creatures of a higher level.
- Repeat step 1. By now, though, you will be able to fight higher-level creatures.
- (Optional) If you get a level 30 attack stat, you can use a magma sword. the 50% burning chance does MASSIVE damage, and will allow you to take on bosses and enemies higher than your own level. The damage will allow you to beat animals with 30 more levels than you and more if you are well equipped. It is recommended to have at least a health stat of 12 before trying this out.
List of things NOT to do:
- Do NOT enter Caves unless you have a steady supply of Torches or expired Land Claims! You can easily get lost with no way out. Having the Eagle Eye perk also helps.
- Do NOT fight bosses that are significantly higher level then you, as these battles will likely result in a major loss of health or even death. You can make an exception if you simply plan to lure the boss away, take the nest egg, and flee via teleportation or stalling the boss itself.
- Do NOT tell high-level companions to sit and simply leave them there (unless they are near your home or some sort of base). Such companions can be very useful, and you will be able to ride them in a future update.
- Do NOT spend all your coins on things you aren't sure you'll use. For example, don't buy a Mansion if you don't have somewhere to place it.
BIG WARNING: PvP ISN'T PRACTICAL UNTIL YOU REACH LEVEL 800.
Low Level Tips (below level 800)
- DO NOT ATTACK players higher level than you, as PvP servers are usually full of players over level 400.
- If possible, try to escape the spawn region as fast as possible before getting killed. The Spawn Region is the location where the most hybrids have been killed and is most of the time full of high level players.
Level 800+ Tips
Leveling Up Your Companion Tips
You should only use the method for leveling up your companion I am about to describe once your companion is level 10! Also, only start shooting for the max amount of EXP possible once they're level 15. Otherwise, they are likely to die!
- `The EXP distribution system between you and your companions is based on who gets the last hit; whoever dealt the final blow gets the EXP. If that information wasn't enough to get the gears in your head turning, let me explain why this is useful. As you probably already know, the amount of EXP you gain from killing enemies scales on how much higher said enemy's level is compared to yours. This also applies to your companion's level. Companions can deal even a single point of damage to an enemy, but so long as it is the last point, they will reap all of the EXP from the kill. The highest amount of EXP a companion can gain is 90 EXP, which is achieved by them killing an enemy that is at least 15 levels higher than them. Companions only need 30 EXP to gain a single level (the amount they need does increase bit by bit, just so you know). You see where I'm going with this? That's right. If you damage an enemy that is at least 15 levels higher than your companion down to only a small amount of its health, you can get your companion to do the rest in order to get them to earn a whopping three levels at a time!
Now, here's some things I recommend for safety and efficiency:
- You should never make your companion finish off anything that is more than 20 levels higher than it unless it is geared up well enough. You don't want them to die, do you? I mean, if you do, have at it. I won't judge. Much.
- Keep in mind that companions can only equip things appropriate for their level. However high of a level you have to be to equip something, they've got to be three times as much. For example, you need to be level 12 (or higher) to equip any metal gear. That means they need to be at least level 36 to equip any metal gear.
- Your pet cannot be healed by items. They only heal through leveling up or natural regeneration. Be careful when making them attack enemies a much higher level than them. When a companion dies, they do NOT respawn!
- When attempting to level up a companion the way I talked about above, you should keep your other one at home. You don't want them stealing the EXP.
- If your companion is in desperate need of health, you can tap into their companion screen (the one you use to give them equipment) and tell them to wait right next to you. Then, just swiftly get them back again. This will spawn them in with a full bar of health.
Things to Remember
This is a list of things you should NEVER, EVER FORGET.
- You need levels in Health to wear better armor. It works the same for swords, except for the fact you need levels in Attack to have a good sword.
- If you need anything rare, venturing to the multiplayer servers might not be a bad choice. Just remember, if you want to go hunting, wear your backup armor. You might easily die and respawn without the stuff you had.
- Do not EVER, EVER, EVER use swear words or steal on the multiplayer servers. Hopefully, nothing will happen if you do it ONCE, but doing it multiple times might result in someone reporting you and the staff getting you banned.
- At really low levels, it's reasonable to attack creatures that have 1-4 more levels than you if you have some equipment in hand (i.e. Wooden Armor).